Saturday, March 19, 2011

Stash Report #11

I've been a bad, bad girl...

I did get a lot of sewing done this week, but still no finishes yet.  Once I can make that happen I know my report will start moving in the right direction! 

I am finding that trying to not buy fabric isn't working for me.  I think maybe a better approach might be to limit the number of projects I have going at one time.  One of my big purchases this week was for the Super Nova Quilt Along.  I bought nine yards of Innocent Crush because I've been eyeing that line since it came out and I think it will be perfect for the quilt.  I do feel a little guilty, but it will be beautiful!  Some things are just worth it!  I hope that I will have better luck finishing this project since I am quilting along with others, that's the plan anyway!

To celebrate National Quilting Day I went to one of my local shops who was having a great sale.  If I brought in an item for a local shelter I would receive 25% off my total purchase.  Fortunately for me I happened to have a large supply of the most needed item at the shelter: diapers!  It was a win-win situation: the shelter got a lot of diapers, and I was able to get rid of the ones that no longer fit Graham and I got a good discount!  I took advantage of this opportunity to buy basics like more Kona Snow and polka dots for bindings. 

I am glad I was able to buy the fabric at a discounted price because fabric prices seem to have risen in my area already.  I noticed most of the fabric had gone up at least $2 a yard!  Yikes!  I will definitely have to start using what I have because it seems quilting is going to become a very expensive hobby! 

Used this week: 0 yards
Used YTD: 9 yards
Added this week: 17 yards
Net Used YTD: -41.5 yards

Wow, I really need to get sewing!  It's only March and I've reached most people's goal number, but instead of 50 yards used, it's bought!  Oh well, it's been fun!

2 comments:

Mary-Kay said...

Diapers are always a must have for shelters. My friend who plays the market told me that cotton is right up there with gold and oil. I would have never thought that cotton was such a commodity. Here in Canada, fabric prices are already way too high,$15-$18/meter, and with cotton going up, I can see a lot of quilt shops going under.

em's scrapbag said...

I've been making scrap quilts. But still buying backs is going to kill me. I'm doing that with sale fabric only.