Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sewing update

Unfortunately, there wasn't much sewing accomplished this past week.  I have had a great time playing with Hurst and hanging out with my fabulous husband, so I can't complain too much, but I do miss my sewing machine.  Tonight after the baby goes to sleep I have vowed to work on my Tula Pink "Hushabye" quilt.

Here is the quilt top in all its' wrinkled glory waiting patiently on the ironing board for me.  This will be the last of my works in progress to finish before I start on the Christmas projects.  I know it's a little early, but I'm slow so I should have started at least a month ago.  Oh well...

I will be so happy when this one is finished because it will be all mine!!  I made this out of six charm packs, and I think it will be the perfect size for snuggling under on the couch!  I know it is just another boring patchwork quilt, but I can't help loving it.  I am mostly excited (and nervous) because I am going to try my hand at free motion quilting for the first time with this quilt!  Tonight I am going to hopefully piece the back and then hopefully during naptime tomorrow I will baste it and start quilting!

I do have a long term project that I worked on a little this weekend.  When I say long term, I do mean very long term!  I estimate that so far I have been working on this quilt off and on (mostly off) for five years.  It is my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.  This quilt pattern is the reason I wanted to learn to quilt.  Needless, to say it has been a lot of work and there is much more to come, but I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment I will feel when it is finished!





Here are the blocks I have made so far spread out on the dining room table.  I need 67 and so far I have 47.  Only twenty more to go!  Of course then I have to add the multiple borders, quilt and bind the monster, so I will be working on this for a long time!  It will all be done by hand, so it has been the perfect travel project.  My goal is to work on it at least once a week to finish it as soon as possible.  We will see how that goes!

Sorry for such a long-winded post!  Now I'm off to put a sleepy little boy to bed and then quilt.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Love the Hushabye quilt! It's beautiful. I love this fabric line - I made a quilt for my 18-month-old out of Hushabye.