Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Quilts for Those in Need of Comfort

The last ten days have been brutal for the state of Texas and the City of Boston. When these horrible things happen I know as a quilter I always wonder what I can do to help. One of the things I love about this addictive hobby of mine is that quilts are so comforting. Quilts help cure the most simple to the most complicated of ills. While it is a small gesture, it is amazing what a quilt and the love that is sewn into it can do!

The Boston Modern Quilt Guild is collecting 12.5 inch tall by width of your choice blocks in blue, yellow, gray and white to make quilts for those in need of support after the bombings at the Boston Marathon. They also need donations of fabric for sashing, binding and quilt backs. More information can be found here. There is also a Flickr group to upload pictures of your blocks once you are finished. If you can, I think this would be a great way to help the Boston area start the healing process!

Quilts for Boston



Judy who writes over at Patchwork Times is collecting quilts for the people of West Texas who are in need of comfort after the fertilizer plant explosion and fires. She is collecting completed quilts of any size or if you have completed tops and she has time, she can quilt a limited number. You can find more information about this quilt drive here. I'm sure some of you have quilts that are either finished or nearly finished that you don't have plans definite plans for that could provide comfort to those in Texas.

I hope you can find some time this week to sew for people who I'm sure would love to know that they thought about and loved. Spread the word to your friends, co-workers, church members or blog readers.

Tonight after the kids are in bed, I think I'll pull some fabric to make this block for the Boston Modern Quilt Guild. I collect the charity quilts for my quilt guild, Burke Quilter's Unlimited in Burke, VA and one of the very nice members gave me a quilt last week and I will send it off to Judy this week for the people of Texas.

No comments: